Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The new work permit law in Sweden

Many people have been asking me about the new work permit law in Sweden that implementation started on the 15th December 2008. Its really an interesting law because the government is now realising that its time to soften up those old rules and let people with skills get job permits in Sweden.
Another thing here is these jobs should have been announced in the whole of Sweden and EU and the employer has no choice but to employ a NON EU immigrant and that is where you can see the real aim of the program.It is actually to to let companies employ highly skilled engineers from other countries easily.

If you an immigrant and already got a job or doing some unskilled job somewhere and think that with that job you can get a work permit because of that then read on and understand what this is all about.I always encourage others living and studying here and wish to work here to learn the swedish language and become really good in what you are studying.If you think you are ligible for this kind of visa then ask yourself what skills you really have that some company will want to invest in you? If you got no skills or got them but doing some unskilled job in another field then you better drop that now and upgrade you skills and begin to apply for real jobs that warrants some skill learned.With that said you might get an employer that really wants to invest in you.I am ready to answer questions about this but here is a summary of the conditions to apply.

Here is the new law
EU/EEA citizens, Swiss citizens, their family members and people with long-term resident status in another EU country are not required to apply for a work permit. There is more information on our website under ”EU/EEA citizens”.

Other foreign citizens who want to work in Sweden must have a work permit. A residence permit is also required if the person is going to work for a period of more than three months. Citizens of certain countries must have a visa to work for periods of less than three months. See www.ud.se for a list of nationalities required to have a visa.

What is required to get a work permit?
A person who wants to work in Sweden must have an Offer of Employment from an employer in Sweden.

The following are also required to be granted a permit:

The employee must have a valid passport.
The employee must earn enough from employment to support him/herself.
The terms of employment must be equivalent to those provided by a Swedish collective agreement or to customary terms and conditions for the occupation or industry.
The relevant union must be given the opportunity to state an opinion on the terms of employment.
The job vacancy must have been advertised in Sweden and the EU. Where should the employee apply for a residence and work permit?
The main rule is that the employee must apply for a residence and work permit in the country of origin or another country outside Sweden in which he/she resides. The permit must have been granted and the permit sticker affixed to the passport before entering Sweden. However, in certain cases, employees may apply for a work permit in Sweden.

People who may apply in Sweden:

Students with a student residence permit who have completed at least 30 higher education credits or one semester/term of postgraduate education in Sweden.
Job applicants who have received an offer of employment and who are in Sweden to visit an employer, and there is special need to begin the work immediately. The occupation must also be found on a special list, which is posted on the Migration Board website.
Asylum-seekers whose application for asylum has been rejected and the decision has taken legal force.
What applies to family members?
Family members of employees may be granted a residence permit for the same duration as the residence and work permit granted to the employee. If the permit is valid for at least six months, family members may also be granted a work permit.

The following people are considered family members:

Husband/wife, de facto (“common law”) spouse or registered domestic partner.
Children (under the age of 21) of the employee or his or her husband, wife, de facto spouse or registered partner.
Children over the age of 21 cannot be granted a residence permit unless they are financially dependent upon the parent. Note that the age limit for residence and work permits is 18 for family members of asylum seekers.

How much does it cost?
Most applicants are required to pay an application fee. The fee is SEK 2,000 for the initial application and in certain cases for an extension. When an application to extend a permit concerns the same employer or the same occupation the fee is SEK 1,000.

The fee is SEK 1,000 for family members over 18 and SEK 500 for family members under 18.

How long is the permit valid?
If the employment is temporary, the employee will be granted a residence and work permit valid only for that period and for a maximum of two years at a time.

After 48 months, the employee will be eligible for a permanent residence permit.

What happens if the employee changes employers?
For the first two years, the residence and work permit is restricted to a specific employer and a specific occupation. For that reason, the employee must apply for a new work permit if he/she changes employers or occupations during the first two years. If the residence and work permit is extended after two years, it is restricted only to a specific occupation. In that case, the employee must apply for a new work permit if he/she changes occupations.

What happens if employment is terminated?
A residence and work permit in Sweden is always temporary. If the employee loses his/her job, the Migration Board may withdraw the residence permit. However, the employee may look for other employment in Sweden for three months after the date the previous employment ended.

If the employee does not find a new job during that period, the Migration Board may withdraw the residence permit and the employee must leave the country.

If the employee gets a new job and the current permit does not cover the duration of employment, he/she must submit a new application for a work permit. The Migration Board will then examine the conditions of employment by the new employer.

Rejection of an application for a work permit cannot be appealed.

Further information
For further information about work permits in Sweden, contact the nearest Swedish embassy/consulate or the Swedish Migration Board's Public Contact Unit.


Kiran said...

Thank you for posting such a useful information. It did give insight into how the work permits are defined.

Anonymous said...

Thank you
Grate,It's useful information.

Javad said...

Hi Friend ,
Thanks for your post . I was about to go to bed that I dropped into your blog and read a bit of it , and ended up adding myself as your follower and also adding your picasa web album to my favorites.

Well I have applied to study in Sweden , and if every thing is fine , I will need to begin my study from September 2010. Well , finding your blog is a great help for me and I would love to be in contact with you , if you have time .
please drop me an email , so that I know you have read this :)


Thanks ,


Anonymous said...

i have gone through your site information and it is the sae oppertunity that i was looking for thr facilities,
the process that what you are offering , are perfectely matched to my expection, very soon you will get
responce from my side

online job

Anonymous said...


Thank you for the information in deed and I have gone through all these in immigration site too. But the immigration site does not mention about the case that I have. My case is I am already in Sweden and I have a resident permit for one year. I came here as dependent applicant with my wife who is here for her postgraduate studies. But now I intend to work here and I have an employer ready to offer me a job. But I am confused if I will be allowed to apply for work permit and if I am allowed will I be able to apply from withing Sweden itself or I have to go back to my home country for my application ? Please help me on this topic.

Thank you in advance.


Ngala Talla said...

I will advice you that if you have chance to get a job here in Sweden then take it.Try to excel in your job and let your employer want to keep you.The work permit law is flexible now because it is the company that decides whom it will want to stay in Sweden for a job .even though other parties are involved in the process it still can be easy to have it if you have a real job that meets the requirement.You should make your self worthy of that .If you have just a one year study visa and you are offered a job the tell you company to apply for working permit for you after the employment contract is signed and accepted by both parties and the unions are aware of it.

enrique said...

Thanks you so much for sharing this nice information.


Norwegian girls said...

Great tips and Resource. I'll bookmark this site.

E-kontakt said...

Good article,great resources.

Eldre damer said...

I like this article. It is short, informative and to the point. Good job

Anonymous said...

thanks for the information!
but how could i be sure if the employer is not fake? and how many month or days will it will be processed? i applied online and i need your help! i'm from the philippines! thank you

Chat norge said...

This is amazing. Keep posting dude !

ann kemp said...

Thank you so much for this posts. This is of great help.Please get in touch with me immediately please. We have problems in going to sweden.Praying you will be of help.

Anonymous said...

Please get in touch, we need you

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I have been working in Sweden and my work permit expired in the month of December 13 and my company applied for extension. Still no decision has been taken on my case and I have to go to my home country (India), can I go when the decision is pending, how about coming back.
my mail id is info@vinhospitality.com